How am I Doing?
WAYS TO SELF-ASSESS MY WORK WITH THIS FAMILY:
- Did I listen with openness?
- Did I nurture honest dialogue?
- Did I look beneath the child’s behavior to identify underlying needs?
- Did I help find and build connections to support the child or youth?
- Did I explore relationships that may impact the child’s/youth’s safety and well-being?
- Did I ensure connection and support?
- Did I help the family identify and build natural supports?
- Did I honor the family’s unique culture, community and experience in helping them design their team?
- Did I encourage the team to share thoughtful hunches about the child’s needs?
- Did I connect the child/family/youth to supports or advocates?
- Did I show the caregiver respect and offer resources to assist them in their role?
- Did I facilitate sharing of important information across all parties?
- Did I promote self-advocacy and empowerment in finding solutions, planning, and decision-making?
- Did I listen for loss?
- Did I use the cultural lens to honor the family culture?
Did I assess the need this child/youth/family may have for coaching and support?
- Is it possible any biases are impacting this family’s service or results?
- Do I understand the link between the family story and the family’s current functioning and underlying needs?
Planning & Intervention
- Did I tailor supports to underlying needs?
- Did I help facilitate appropriate supports and services to reach a team solution?
- Did I have a chance to customize the visitation for this family, when applicable?
Did I create an optimal team environment?
- Did I promote recovery and well-being?
- Did I help create shared agreement on culturally sensitive services to address safety, well-being and family needs?
Tracking & Adapting
- What is working now that we should continue or expand?
- What is not working? Who should I engage in thinking about changing course?
- How can I empower the team to think about tracking and adapting to make the best and safest plan with this family?
Questions to Ask Others
- Based on what we have done together so far, what do you think is going well in our work? What could be improved?
- What advice would you give me about my work with your family?
- What is one thing that I could do better or differently that would help us make our work together stronger?